This bird was sitting on a bamboo pole and there was no background. I personally like a bit of color in the background.
1. Shoot the bird. ( duuu ) LOL
2. Find a background close to the bird for an out of focus shot. Shoot a shot that you think will look good.
3. Photo-shop (step by step)
4. Open in raw, de-noise if needed, adj as needed for best color and detail.
4. Open image.
5. With the quick selection tool select the bird and the perch. There is a faster way to do this but I will not go into that now.
6. Refine the edge to 1 pixel ( feather ). I like the feather because it will let you touch up the edges some.
7. Now right click the image and click (cut). This will give you the bird and the perch in a separate Layer.
8. Open your out of focus pic as a Jpeg. Select it with the magic wand tool and press control-C to copy background.
9. Open your bird pic. press control-V to copy the background into your bird pic
as a seterate layer.
10. Left click the bird layer and drag it to the top of the layers. Wham you have a pic with a new background.
11. Highlight the bird in the Layers panel. Control-T will let you move the bird around in the new background until you like the look.
12. Sharpen the bird and do what ever you want.
13. Take the pic to 200% go around the edges where necessary with the brush tool. Set at 50% opacity and 100% flow. And dodge the edges where needed. Such as where feathers are sticking out and when you replaced the background the color does not match.
14. Crop the image with the new background to your liking.
15. Put in your name and logo.
16. Save as a photo-shop file.
17. Then save as a file for the internet. Or whatever. I usually save as a jpeg.
I struggled for quite a while. But it is quite easy when you get the hang of it. just do not give up.
It is a great hobby.